Sunday, November 8, 2020

Eyes on the Road! Do Not Text and Drive

Hello Everyone,

I had the delight of presenting a call-to-action and informative presentation yesterday on why we as a society should all do better at never texting and driving. I gained inspiration from a previous blog post I made titled: “Stop Texting and Driving” which was more of a visual analysis of a campaign advertisement to stop texting and driving. For this blog post, I would like to leave you with some key takeaway and important facts about the effects of texting and driving, statistics, and what can be done to avoid this dangerous activity that I presented to my classmates. 

  • Texting and driving is a serious matter and causes loss of life, it is illegal, it is not smart, and is preventable.
  • Cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year and nearly 330,000 injuries from that 1.6 million are caused by texting while driving, according to The National Safety Council.
  • A study conducted by Transport Research Laboratory concluded that texting and driving delays the driver’s reaction time more than the legal limit of alcohol consumption. 
  • According to the Nevada DMV website, “Fine is $50 for the first offense in seven years, $100 for the second and $250 for the third and subsequent offenses. Fines are subject to doubling if the offense occurs in a work zone… First offense is not treated as a moving violation. A second or subsequent offense carries 4 demerit points.”
  • To avoid texting and driving, my proposed solution is using a passphrase as your device’s locking system to remind you when unlocking your phone that you should not be texting and driving, or lock the phone in a place where it can be difficult to reach or where it can only be reached after parking, such as the center console or in trunk of the car.
None of us want to lose a best friend, a sibling, a parent, or a partner, so do not text and drive!



8 comments:

  1. Excellent presentation and thank you for summarizing the key points in this blog post :-)

    I look forward to walking you through the process of saving your slideshow as images and using them to create webpage version of your slides for A4 Online Publishing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think instead of an "airplane mode" cell phones should have a "driving mode" to prevent incoming phone calls and messages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great presentation, Adrian! My iphone sets itself in do not disturb whenever I get in the car which I think is great so I don't get distracted or tempted to check my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice presentation.Texting and driving is very dangerous. I think they should fine higher instead of 50, it should be 500 or more so people will learn a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard the presentation was good, sorry to have missed it. I'm happy that someone else is just as passionate about not texting and driving. I've seen the aftermath of plenty of accidents that could have been avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texting and driving is highly overlooked. I did not know that texting while driving is more dangerous than being intoxicated, I know the studies have proving this fact but it is hard for me to grasp. This is an important message we should all incorporate into our driving habits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your presentation was excellent and very informational. I hardly even trust myself to use Bluetooth while in the car let alone texting. You brought out some important facts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great presentation! But yes texting and driving is really dangerous.

    ReplyDelete