Thursday, October 22, 2020

Stress in College Students

After reading many of my classmates’ blog posts, I can certainly resonate. For many of us, not just the effects of the current COVID-19 pandemic, but the workload for many of our classes have been oftentimes “too much to handle.” Personally, it feels as though all professors increased the amount of coursework being issued trifold. Nonetheless, I often worry that too much work is programming us to just complete the work, but the rapid pace and switching of subjects does not allow new-learned to completely grasp the concept or ideas being presented. I wish more professors would be understanding that students do have their own personal lives outside of their class. For many, students have families to tend to, they have a job, they are taking several other classes, extracurricular and internship opportunities, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, all while trying to succeed and become an all-around better person in life. For many young adults, especially those in college, there is a growing crisis leading affecting mental health, including suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and depression. In fact, “Suicide is the second most common cause of death for college students, right after accidents. In the period between 2008 and 2017, stress levels have grown exponentially. Consequently, 47% more young adults were having thoughts about committing suicide” (Jacimovic, D., 2019). I have done some research and would like to share below my findings with all of you- my fellow college colleagues of mine. Most importantly, however, if any of my readers ever feel a desire to self-harm themselves, please know that there is 24/7 confidential and free support by calling 1-800-273-8255, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. 


Findings:

Maryville University argues that one should prevent stress in college through establishing a support system of family, friends, or professors to provide their advice. Secondly, is to understand your triggers.  This means that you assess and understand what causes stress in your life, and you make those adjustments in your life to avoid stressful situations. Managing your time is also a key to managing stress, and this will allow you to balance a number of things you may deem necessary to attend to. Furthermore, saying “no” is a key responsibility when you feel placed in a stressful situation, such as when you don’t have time to take up another responsibility (Maryville University)

Moreover, mitigating the effects of stress, according to Maryville University, can be done through getting enough sleep, eating healthy, exercising, partaking in a hobby to distract your mind from stress, having a supportive group, volunteering, meditating, understanding your limitations and being realistic, being organized, and staying optimistic (Maryville University).

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the stats and sharing Maryville University's advice, especially the one about saying "no" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stats. I think another problem is that many students who are fresh out of high school go to college because that is what is expected. Without a "why" the reason for being there feels pointless and I think can contribute to stress and anxiety. I attempted college several times and never succeeded for numerous reasons, but this time I have a very strong "why" I am doing this and although it is stressful, I feel like I have a better chance this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post because many occupations, including students, deal with a ton of stress and it leads to suicidal tendencies. Through time, I have learned ways to deal with my stress and manage it the best I can. At the end of the day, things will only get more difficult and understanding how to manage your time is extremely important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting these stats. I have high functioning anxiety so saying "no" is so hard for me to do but I have learned to be better about managing my stress and was triggers my anxiety. Also, I've been going to bed a lot earlier so I can at least get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suicide is the 2nd most common cause of death among college students, this is mind blowing. I cannot speak for all but I believe most people become better at handling stress with maturity in life. I do believe a solid support system is necessary for anyone. I appreciate this information, especially since I am a parent and a student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, thanks for the information, I usually go running or for a walk or maybe a hike in the mountains and stop thinking, take a look around. It helps me feel focus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like anxiety is one of my biggest downfalls. Sometimes I just stress myself out for no reason. Its interesting that suicide is the 2nd most common cause of death for college students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saying no is so much harder than it seems, I always feel like I can take on the world only to feel crushed by the weight of the responsibility later. Thankfully I have a great support system of people I love.

    ReplyDelete