Saturday, August 29, 2020

Opening the Door into Adrian's IS101 Journey!

 Hello Professor, Classmates, and Blog Readers,

My name is Adrian Duarte and I am the official creator and sole-blogger of the awesome https://adridblogs.blogspot.com/.  I am a first-generation college student, tech-enthusiast (is that what they call a "geek?" Let me know in the comments), and I am currently attending two higher-education institutions, UNLV and CSN, in pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree.

As a Las Vegas area native, I decided to stay close to my family and attend CSN (the College of Southern Nevada); Go Coyotes! I must also root on the Rebels as I am officially a Rebel this semester with the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. I am pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a major in Information Management, but I will also be double majoring in Business Human Resources, so I gain background knowledge and practical skills. Currently, I am taking this course as part of my declared-degree requirements with UNLV. My career goal is to move up in an organization that focuses on public-service, whether that be a local-level office, a state-level, or on a national-scale, and do what I love. 

My first-impression of IS101 (Introduction to Information Systems) is off to a great one. Although we have not had our first class session yet; our first will be later today through remote instruction, I can already sense that there will be tons of coursework. I am confident in my abilities to manage and complete it all, but it is a bit concerning considering I have a full academic-course load, have outside employment obligations, and a family, but I will continue to work on my work-life-school balance and plan assignments that are needed to be completed by their due dates. I reached out to Professor Wu prior to the semester starting, and he has been already more than supportive in my academic journey and is able to be easily reached whenever I email him. I look forward to the continuation in building a professional relationship with Mr. Albert Wu, as well my Information Systems colleagues.

Furthermore, during my leisure time away from school, I enjoy traveling, exploring and dining at new restaurants, hiking, conducting research to learn new things, spending time with friends and relatives, as well as volunteering.

I look forward to this semester and venturing on this journey with you all!

Adrian D.

11 comments:

  1. I'm elated that your first impression of IS101-3022, Fall 2020 is a great one :-)

    Awe, a future public servant in the making, excellent.

    I see you enjoy volunteering as well, double excellent :-)

    Pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) with my alma mater as I did in the 1990's and a dual major to boot, trifecta! Mine were Finance and Management Information Systems (MIS).

    Thank you for sharing yourself with the world and welcome to the class Adrian ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome to see another first generation and native Las Vegas student. I also feel your pain when it comes to balancing your social, professional, and educational responsibilities. I work in what you could call public service and it may be difficult at times and not financially lucrative, it's very rewarding. I wish you nothing but the best in your goals and through your pursuit of a Bachelor's degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring hearing you put in the work towards that Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration while majoring in both Information Management and Business Human Resources. keep up that drive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow " first Generation. From what you have spoken, you are an outstanding student who cares about his academics. keep up the good work and remember nothing is impossible. I believe you will find balance with school work, work life, and family. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think tech-enthusiast sounds nicer than geek, but I guess they could be the same thing?! I have always been amazed with people working on double majors at once. It requires a lot of work and dedication to pursue even one degree. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A double major? Wow!!! Seems like you're gonna have your hands full this semester but you seem to have it all planned out and I wish you all the success. It's all about time management. Once you figure out how to balance it all out it will be piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting into UNLV, Runnin’ Rebels! I appreciate you offering your assistance, and I will definitely reach out if I ever need help. Hope you achieve your dreams and improve lives and communities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good evening Adrian, You have so much energy I am every sure you will get everything under control. I love hiking too, I just went to mt Charleston with my dog 2 weeks ago It was so quite and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a solid sounding plan! I am glad that there are so many fellow first generation students. Growing up in Henderson I didn't get to have a big community of first gen students and much less Latinos at my schools. It felt very defeating at times but luckily my family was always very supportive in my pursuit of education. Keep pushing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can already tell you're a determined, hard worker just from reading this. Once you find your balance it'll be no sweat at all. Good luck with your degree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I think it's really inspiring that you are going to both CSN and UNLV. I was think about going to UNLV after getting my degree in Computer Science, but I didn't know that you could go to both at once, that's really something. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete